Monday, November 28, 2005


I need a break. I have almost recovered fully from the wisdom teeth ordeal (which I realized was great to do, it gave me much time to spend with God and take a break from the routine of life), so I went to school today and now I am attempting to read through this chapter in my Sociology textbook entitled Sexuality and Gender. It really drives me crazy though! First there is a section on a theory called Essentialism. In this theory it claims that in relationships women are greedy for money, while men want casual sex and treat women as property. What kind of depressing world are we living in?! I know, it would be stupid of me to think otherwise and that this world is full of people who just want "love and happiness", but reading this just makes life seem so bleak. Then the chapter steers right into activities of girls and boys. The girls "obviously" play with Barbie dolls, while the boys have their fire trucks. Ok, I will confess that I did play with Barbies when I was young, BUT I also played with LEGO and toy cars and such! And now what activities do I enjoy? Things like playing video games and falling over my skateboard, or editing movies! When will people be able to start doing what they enjoy instead of being placed into categories of what they can do based on their sex? I guess I should not really be complaining though. Women have an advantage of being able to do most anything without ridicule, while guys could be beat up if they ever admitted to enjoying a romantic comedy or that they felt really inspired by a poem they read by E. E. Cummings. Ahhh, but I do live in Canada, which seems to be a place of accepting everything! It's terrible, if you are of any other religion than Christian it is no problem for you to freely express your opinions without hostility. In my sociology class we talked of the legalization of homosexual marriages, and when I made a stand against it, all I recieved were dirty looks! It seems that Canada is open only to those ideas that are immoral, and everyone else must agree or be shunned in class, and in society. Alright, I think I've ranted enough for one post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Court said...

I too am pited against my own country on this one.
Other countries have their faults, at least they stand up for something. Liberalism, isn't tha twhat God hate the most. Warm people. I have no right as a citizen of this world. I am looked down on because I expect my husband will treat me well, not look at other women and come home at night even if we have a fight. I get treated like I'm crapp because I want to be a good cook, I wish I could sow better then I can. I like being pretty, I love being dependble. I love that God tells me I can be everything that I want and a servant of his to boot.
So Canada or America or Europe it's all the same crapp.
My loyality belongs to the king.
Just don't send me to switzerland where euthansia is legal.k thanks.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Court said...

post something else ...come on. Don't you know that you are suppose to Blog it helps you study for all your exams.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home